Subject: Re: Lighting for Architectural
From: John Gross <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 1996 16:45:22 -0800

> 
> >	I am doing an experiments with LW and I have found that to get 
> >any good results lighting realistically you have to actually model "the 
> >other side" of your objects.  I mean the interior so that the light 
> >doesn't travel straight through. (I've just been putting some cubes etc.) 
> >Now from what I understand shouldn't turning on double-sided inLayout do 
> >the same thing, or do you need to do this when building in Modeler?

In order for LW to cast a shadow of an object onto another, there must be 
normals facing the shadow receiver. Casting a light from the camera 
position onto a single sided poly that is facing the camera will not cast 
a shadow onto an object behind it. Turning on Double Sided or turning the 
polygon around will. 

TIP: Use a single sided poly facing away from camera to cast a shadow 
onto other objects. The camera will see straight through it because the 
normal is pointing the other way.

JG